<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Novice Book Wrangler 

Today was a milestone day: I received my official County of San Diego Employee Photo ID Badge, complete w/ neck lanyard. And a memo on permitted and forbidden uses of the badge, which I had to sign that I'd read.

My absolute favorite is "DO NOT ... use as an ice scraper..."

Only in a county w/ weather like San Diego's would it be feasible to use this clear hard plastic sheath and enclosed magnetized card as an ice scraper! When I lived in MN I had 3 different ice scrapers, and would vary my use based on kind of ice and location on the car. Up around Julian, where we do have a branch, they do get snow and ice. But still, it would only occur to a Californian to use an i.d. card as an ice scraper!

My second big achievement was receiving my own personalized, colourful laminated sign for claiming book carts. Now if I'm working on an elaborate project which I have stacked on a cart, but get called away to something else, I can slap my 8-1/2x11" "Gillian's Cart" sign on top of it and my coworkers won't mess w/ it.

I think I have arrived as a Novice Book Wrangler. I've been on the County payroll 11 days.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?