<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Surfing 

Riding Giants is a new movie out about the surf culture. I'm hoping to see it, so that I can understand something about surfing. Everyone out here surfs, it seems. At a staff mtg on Friday folks were talking about the movie and their own surfing preferences. I felt like I was suddenly in a foreign country where I didn't know any of the language. Terms of art which everyone else in the room knew flew over my head. Shred....pearl ....etc. Most of our 40-something lawyers surf. The 40-something office administrator surfs. It's like having a boat is in Annapolis....everybody does it. You see sufboards jammed into every conceivable vehicle. Tonight driving 1 mile to the local shopping center to grab a burger, I passed a Porsche 911 Targa (a small convertible) w/ a board jutting up from the passenger seat, and moments later saw a Lexus 4-door sedan with a board jammed diagonally in the cabin.

At least as sports go it has the advantage of being water-based and individual. There's more of a chance I'll take up surfing than soccer or tennis. But don't hold your breath waiting for me to start paddling out there.....

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?