<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 11, 2004

Seals 

Yesterday I went sailing again for the 2nd of 3 on-the-water lessons for my Basic Keelboat rating. While we were maneuvering out of Oceanside Harbor, I saw something that looked from a distance like a giant sea snake, writhing in the water. I asked my boat-mates what I was seeing. They told me it was a seal. It still looked like a snake to me.

On the way back in to the harbor a few hours later, we saw one up closer, and indeed it was a seal, not Nessie Jr. Very cute. Swimming and cavorting off the edge of the dock where bait is sold, which I was told is a place where you will always see seals, as they are hoping to snag anything that's dropped off the dock. Growing up on the East Coast, I never saw seals. So, another thing for me to mark down in my "How California is different" log.

There are also birds and such on the water which I don't recognize. Our instructor keeps us too busy for me to pay much attention to the wildlife. Hopefully I'll eventually get to learn more about the native critters out here.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?