<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, March 12, 2004

Cars in SoCal....
There is a much wider variety of cars here in SoCal than anywhere else I've lived. Lots of people here seem to have lots of money, especially in this part of the county, so lots of very expensive cars. Every day I see many Jags, at least 1 or 2 Hummers, and of course more BMWs than you can shake a beer stein at. Lots of Porsches, too. The Porsche Boxter is just as cute looking in person as in the car mags. Tons of BMW and Lexus and Merc SUVs. Of course, given the climate, there are lots of convertibles. The New Beetle convertible is very cute. The atty I spend most of my workdays supporting drives a Lexus hardtop convertible (no, that's not an oxymoron--it's the Lexus SC430 or some such) which cost over $60,000. Well, actually he drives his main shag's Lexus convertible some days, and his own Volvo convertible other days. Mazda Miatas are ubiquitous, the poorer person's BMW Z3, I guess. I sat in one at the San Diego Auto Show and decided it was just too low and small to drive on the freeways. Obviously lots of other folks don't share my concern. Speaking of the freeways--outside of rush hour they really move. I routinely average speeds in the low 80s miles per hr; I've topped 90 occasionally. BabyCar likes that.

The building I work in houses several law firms and an investment firm. The parking lot makes for an interesting sociological/economic study. A mix of very expensive late-model cars, and much older shabby econo-boxes. You can easily tell which cars belong to the attys and brokers, versus which ones belong to the administrative assistants!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?