<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 07, 2003

Let's see....some other stuff about San Diego....

Living here, just miles from the Mexican border, it's no surprise that Hispanics/Latinos have now surpassed African Americans as the largest ethnic minority in the USA. This city is almost bilingual. It's amazing to listen to counter workers in fast food joints switch seamlessly back and forth between Spanish and English, remembering as they call out orders which customers speak which language.

I like Mexican food, and I'll sure have lots of chances to enjoy it here!

One plus of the city is that it has very decent public transportation, especially by USA standards. Trains, light rail and buses form an integrated network. I'm sure there are lots of spots it doesn't reach, but compared to lots of US cities, it's good.

I'm really looking forward to having a positive cash flow and a regular schedule once I find a job, so I can enjoy some of what San Diego has to offer. That would include the world-class Zoo, the Wild Animal Park, and downtown shopping and entertainment districts like the Gaslamp District, Hillcrest, Little Italy, the shops along the bayfront, and Horton Plaza. Plus there's all the cultural stuff that a big city offers. There have already been more major country music acts performing here since I arrived in late May than came to Minnesota in a year, if not the whole 3 years I was there. (OK, so country music may not count as "culture." But there's a symphony and all that sort of stuff too. :-) There's a William and Mary alumni chapter, even.

And it appears that there may actually be single straight eligible men living in the area. So far it's mainly a rumour, but I am very optimistic!

On that note, :-), I'll sign off for the evening.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?