<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, May 22, 2003

Last night I was too exhausted to stir outside my hotel room, and I have to be on the road pretty early today, so I have nothing to report about Las Vegas.

A few more random recollections from Zion NP . . .

There are two sports I just don’t get. (Probably more, but two that came to mind on this trip.)

One is rock climbing. The kind where you inch up a sheer cliff slowly, wedging your feet and hands into crevices. There were rock climbers going up some cliff walls at Zion. It takes 3 days of climbing to get to the top and back. They spend two nights en route, simply hanging from their ropes. Several of us on the shuttle expressed our amazement at this pastime, and the shuttle driver said that one rock climber she’d talked to said, “It’s no crazier than driving on the LA freeways.” I replied, “But they find your body faster on the freeway.”

Another is hard-core semi-professional mountain biking. As I was nursing BabyCar up and down the 10-18% grades in and around Bryce and Zion, there were bikers doing the same thing. The spandex outfits they wear are cool, but I can’t imagine biking that kind of terrain.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?